What happens when you combine a little potato, a lot of shrimp, and spices, cover it with saltine cracker crumbs and do a quick fry? Shrimp Boulettes.
Traditional Boulette Recipe Fails
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- ½ cup mashed potatoes
- 1 egg*
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon serrano chili, very finely diced
- finely crushed saltine crackers, two sleeves**
- In a food processor combine raw shrimp, potato, parsley, thyme, paprika, lemon juice, egg, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Pulse several times but not too much. Little pieces of shrimp should still be visible.
- Fold in onion, bell pepper, and serrano chili.
- Put the mixture in the freezer for ten minutes or so to firm up then spoon out & roll into balls in the palm of your hands.
- Roll in cracker crumbs then slightly flatten with your hand.
- Fry in vegetable oil at 350 degrees or when bubbles form around the edges of a spoon or chopstick you've inserted into the oil.
- Cook on both sides until brown.
**or dried French bread crumbs or panko