During the holiday season everyone concentrates on all the special dishes that they’re preparing while forgetting that they still need to eat normal food every day. Skillet Lasagna exists to fill that gap. It’s a delicious, one pot, simple & fast main course that will fill stomachs during the go go days before Christmas & New Year’s and it tastes just like regular lasagna which I’m too lazy to make much anymore.
And the best part? You don’t need to precook the noodles. You may also cook it in a deep stew pot or a shallow braising pan like the one pictured above. Just make sure the noodles are submerged before you cover the pot and all will be well.
So if you are craving a hot homemade meal in thirty five minutes this is it.
After doing a quick brown of the ground meat add in the onion & garlic, stir for a couple then pour on the diced tomatoes & tomato sauce. Next add the herbs and other seasonings, break up the lasagna noodles, cover and let bubble over a low heat until noodles are done.
For presentation spoon ricotta over the top and basil if you have it, cover again for just long enough to heat it (a minute or two), then serve.
It’s a great way to have a vacation from cooking while still enjoying a home cooked supper.
- 1 lb. ground chuck (or ½ lb. chuck and ½ lb. pork)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 anchovies (or 1 tsp. of fish sauce)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tub of ricotta
- fresh basil or parsley
- Optional grated Parmesan cheese
- Saute onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add ground meat and cook till no longer pink. Add oregano & bay leaf.
- Pour the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with liquid over it all & mix well.
- Break up 4 to 6 lasagna noodles and scatter over the mixture. Be sure all the noodles are submerged.
- Cover and cook on the stovetop for 20 minutes on low (or till the lasagna is done).
- Spoon ricotta on top & cover for a couple of minutes until warm.
- Scatter shredded basil and optional parmesan on top.